Location: San Diego, California
I use an athlete-centered approach, get to know my athlete, and work in a collaborative way to achieve excellence.Kurt Madden
I was born and raised in San Diego, CA and was introduced to the sport in the late 1970’s through my participation in Swim-Run-Swim events. My first Ironman triathlon on Oahu was memorial and at that time believed this was something I would do one time in my life and move on. I raced in triathlons throughout the world from 1980 – 1985, transitioned to being a dad and spent the next 15 years running various events, ranging from a 10K to a 48 Hour run. My wife, Kelly, has been invaluable during my athletic career and a major contributor to my success. Since 1980, I have competed in the IM World Championships 10 times.
My professional career includes serving as an interscholastic high school cross country and Track & Field coach, community college swimming, cross country, and Track & Field coach, high school science teacher, high school assistant principal, high school principal, Superintendent of Schools, CEO of five different non-profit organizations that operated charter scools, and charter school board consultant.
On July 1, 2016, I transitioned into being a triathlete coach. I am the Founder and CEO of TriPrime, a multi-sport and performance coaching service and extremely honored to be serving as a TriDot Founding Master Coach.
Triathlon: major personal accomplishments
- 2016 – 2022 Ironman World Championships Qualifier; finished 9th in 2016, 10th in 2017, 3rd in May at St. George and 8th at Kona in October
- 2015, 2016, 2019, and 2021 Ironman All World Athlete (Ranked #1 in the World, Age Group, Ironman distance)
- 3 x Top 10 Finisher Overall, Ironman World Championships
- 2 x Winner, Ultraman World Championships
- 4 x Age Group Winner, Ironman North American Championship
- 2019 Ultraman World Championships Hall of Fame Inductee
Running: major personal accomplishments
- 2 x Top 10 Finisher – Leadville 100 Mile Trail Run
- USA Track & Field 24 Hour Champion – 140 miles
- 48 Hour Age Group National Record Holder – 200 miles
- M.A. degree from San Diego State University in Exercise Physiology, minor in Psychology
- IRONMAN Certified Coach and USAT Level 1 Certified Coach
- AAU age group swim coach
- High School cross country and track & field coach
- Community College swimming, cross country, and track & field coach
- TriDot Certified Pool School Coach
- TriDot Founding Master Coach
- TriDot Master Mentor
My Coaching Philosophy
My coaching philosophy has always been to use an athlete-centered approach, get to know my athlete, and work in a collaborative way to achieve excellence. Throughout my career, I have built greatness in my athletes and had them love the sport, embrace a healthy and balanced lifestyle, and understand the importance of grit, passion, and perseverance. Additionally, throughout my coaching career, I have been beyond gratified when athletes come back to me and thank me for being their mentor, guide, and support person during those difficult times of training and racing.
My background in endurance sports has been extensive. Since 1980, I have raced throughout the world in triathlons and ultra-distance running events. My major accomplishments are listed above. I raced as a professional triathlete from 1980 – 1985 and then returned to the sport as a top age group athlete in 2015.
From 1990 to 2000, I had less time for training in three disciplines and focused on running. My running accomplishments are: 1) Two Time Top 10 Finisher – Leadville 100 Mile Trail Run; 2) USA Track & Field 24 Hour Champion – 140 miles; and 3) 48 Hour Age Group National Record Holder – 200 miles.
I earned my M.A. degree from San Diego State University in Exercise Physiology and a minor in Psychology.